Montag is bothered by the fact that hardly anything seems genuine or intimate. Everything is pretty generic; the people don't really relate to each other as they have turned to technology for their kinships. Wallscreens were brought into homes and programed so that a direct connection is made with the owner/s. These wallsreens would actually have a person turn and look out to the audience and address who ever is there. These people in the screen are then referred to as "the family". People of Montags world think they are relating to others because they get together, but then they are just engrossed in the programs on the wallscreen.
http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/451/section9.rhtml
Montag acknowledged and reciprocated with his neighbor Clarisse's intrigue of natural life. As she asked him questions he was able to think for the first time about something new and almost exciting. Clarisse drew Montag's attention to the moon the first night they met, "and if you look"-she nodded at the sky-"there's a man in the moon(Bradbury, 9). "Real" things like the rain and dandelions didn't seem to stand out for Montag before this. Clarisse looked at him when she talked and he liked this much more than the family on the wall which seemed quite apathetic.
I use to wonder why the world is the way it is. Why I seem to know things that many just don't. Why do people get upset or angry if I would say something that they don't agree with or understand. Particularly with my own father; he seemed to just work all the time so I never expected confrontations. My mother was always home and me and my siblings were able to talk with her, so how was I to expect my father would not want to talk. I really wanted to understand this so I guess I want on a quest. I had to leave the environment where my father did not want to talk about stuff and meet other people of the world to find out why.
I joined the navy and learned about controlling of people; I kind of understand that better now. I lived in a few different states including the very south part of California which can be referred to as Mexico since there is only about 5% of any other race living there. I have taken numerous college classes on relations including, of course; psychology, sociology, and history. Therefore I have had very personal experiences with many different types of people and their societies and urban tribes.
I must have had an embedded desire for as long as I can remember because I have found myself in situation after situation for me to investigate. Having in-laws from another part of the country than my birth state has shown me life in a way I would never have thought of studying on my own. Just as Montag had Clarisse to help him open his eyes; I have had my husband bring me to the middle of the desert.
I have had to stay strong though since just like with Clarisse's questioning led her to an unknown end; I could have lost my enthusiasm for learning. I have had to endure hateful thoughts of others just to learn the simple facts about diversity. It seems to be like talking about religion with many people. If a way of life is questioned, especially to the people types in question, they don't seem to respond very well. I got a bit of hatred in that they thought I was hating on them. I did not expect this, but it has enlightened me a bit on why the world is the way it is.
I am now learning the intricacies on my brain and how I know what I do and that others don't know it. Of course, with that are my past experiences and interpretations of them. I never knew I was on a quest until recently though as I am becomeing enlightened by knowledge of the coorelations of my life events. I felt a connection to Montag in this story as he knew he did not want to burn books any more. I knew I did not want to just take what people said and did in my world as the only things to life. I knew there was so much more and the answers are in the books and with people who also value this concept.
"The magic is only in what books say, how they stitched the patches of the universe together into one garment for us." (Bradbury, 83)
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1376391023990365282#docid=4459346551080833612
This video is just one of numerous involved with studying the brain and it's connection to a person's learning. My intrigue to know about people has turned me toward the sciences of things and a new found passion I would never have know.
No comments:
Post a Comment